Looking For a Fantastic School Gardening Experience?
The Classroom Gardener is a comprehensive school-yard gardening program. Our year long program engages students and teachers in hands on, inquiry based, cross curricular learning. Professional gardeners and teachers support your garden goals in new or existing garden spaces. We ensure stress free learning and growing in your school garden all year round.
Who Can Participate?
We can provide programming for students from preschool to grade 7 in public, private and home learning spaces. From existing gardens to vacant plots, we are here to make your school gardening experience complete. We offer classroom resources and professional development for teachers, by teachers, with professional gardening services by experienced, professional gardeners. Contact us to discuss what level of support would be best for your school!
Why Garden With Kids at School?
Children learn valuable academic skills in the garden, and studies have shown that school gardens are proven to improve classroom behaviour. We encourage total ownership of the garden with hands on lessons, so kids are engaged and learning when they garden with us! Our place based lessons connect children to the biodiversity of their local environment with a meaningful space for scientific investigations.
How Will This Help Me Teach the Re-designed Curriculum?
We provide all resources, materials, lesson plans, workshops and follow-up activities for you to use with your classes that teach to the big ideas, core and curricular competencies of the B.C. redesigned curriculum. We know the barriers to effective school yard gardening and have worked through the challenges to provide you with the most comprehensive program available. And the best part? The Classroom Gardener was written with the redesigned curriculum in mind! Our lessons are cross curricular and connected to the First People’s Principles Of Learning.
What if I’m Not a Gardener?
No problem! We support teachers with all levels of garden experience. We can show you ways to broaden your existing garden program, or give you the confidence and skills to get started! We can work with garden spaces that are still in the planning stages or spaces that have been neglected over time. Our multimedia presentations and hands-on workshops will leave you feeling motivated and confident in your role as you learn along side your students!
What Will it Cost?
This program is best suited for multi-class participation, or a starting budget of $5000. If this exceeds your budget capacity, please call us to discuss pricing options, per student pricing and grant suggestions. There are many, many grants and corporate sponsorships available to schools that support this program. Please do not hesitate to call because of cost! We can help you find funding for this program.
Your fees include:
- Two highly motivating half days (or after school sessions) of professional development for teachers, by teachers
- Place based, super informative and regularly scheduled hands on workshops with students led by professional gardeners
- Follow-up lesson plans with all required teaching resources, links to online resources and video content for classroom use (This is a significant bonus for teachers! No having to source out books or resources!)
- Site visit and garden preparation by professional gardeners
- Crop mapping and succession planning by professional gardeners
- All required organic seeds, veggie starts & fertilizer (take advantage of our discounted pricing)
- All required children’s gardening gloves, tools and garden supplies (take advantage of our discounted pricing)
- Bi-weekly summer follow up maintenance
- Harvesting assistance and guidance on organizing a harvest celebration
Optional add ons:
- Assemblies and multi-media presentations for participating students to kick off and celebrate success
- Additional seasonal support to reflect growth over time in your garden. Most schools choose to have 5 seasons of lessons and gardening support. (Fall 2016- Fall 2017)
- Infrastructure and raised garden beds for schools without existing garden spaces
- Weekly maintenance and classroom support options
- Liaison with suppliers to arrange soil delivery etc.
- Out of City of Vancouver travel time
- Garden spaces that exceed 100 square feet
What Have Other Teachers Said About Your Program?
We have had an astounding 100% of participating teachers report that they would “enthusiastically recommend this program to a friend or colleague!” Wow!! We are really proud of the program we’ve put together and would love for you to benefit from the all inclusive program we can provide your school.
For more information and articles about Gardening with Kids please click below!
** The Classroom Gardener has limited availability for the 2016-2017 school year. Call today! **
We’d love to discuss your school’s garden dreams! Contact us at 778 926 9364 or at schoolgardens(at)icloud.com to get started! You’ll be glad you did.
Thank you to WestCoast Seeds for their generous support and sponsorship of our program!
Check out our Pinterest page for great ideas and tricks for gardening with kids!